It is not often that we see the whole of Pakistan come together for a cause, it is also quite rare to see the now scattered Pakistanis come in the foreground with a showcase of true patriotism and partisanship, where the barriers of classes, gender and race are broken to form an amalgamation of people who are all looking for the same thing, HOPE and a “NAYA” Pakistan.
I was proud to be a witness of such a mass gathering where whole villages and towns were not paid to come and fill the crowds, but they were present with will and their zeal and passion was reverberating through the crowd gathered around the Minar-e-Pakistan. And it was not just that enclosure, but miles before reaching the designated area me and my friends were spectator to the innumerable people waving PTI flags, screaming slogans and PTI’s anthem, and supporting t-shirts of ‘Khan’s Army’, heading towards the “NAYA” Pakistan. these moments i was able to capture through the pictures that follow.
No storm and no amount of rain deterred these people who were there to witness Imran Khans speech and have their hopes refueled. The crowd stood strong against the weather and held onto every single word coming out of the hopeful prime minister and his party leaders, whose speeches comprised of themes of anti corruption and nationwide vehemence. Imran Khan attracted large throngs of supporters, and spoke of the power of faith and his belief in Quiad’s Pakistan and made the following six promises:
6 PLEDGES OF PTI CHAIRMAN IMRAN KHAN:
1.” I will always speak the truth to the people of Pakistan.”
2. “The PTI government that will come into power, I promise that we will try to end tyranny. Until the time our system in this country isn’t grounded in equality and justice, Allah will never send his blessings to this nation. We will stand the weak and the powerful in front of law all the same.”
3. “I further promise you, that all my wealth and property will be in Pakistan. I will take ownership of this country and won’t be like those leaders who create hideouts abroad”
4. “I will never take undue benefits from politics nor will I grant favours to my friends and family. I am not here for personal gain.”
5. “I will protect your tax money! It won’t be spent on Prime Minister and Governor Houses. Inshallah the day PTI government comes in power these walls of governor houses will be brought down. We will break these walls and make libraries and playgrounds for the public to use.”
6. “We will stand together with every Pakistani in or outside Pakistan.”
The torrent that followed Imran Khans speech hardly dampened the spirits of the magnanimous crowd which held people from all ages and walks of life, it infact proved a symbolic finish to the jalsa. Although people are now referring to the PTI jalsa as having offered ‘more hope and less substance’ I must add that hope is what brings our ideologies and thinking to the boil demanding us to take action and stand up against what we see as wrong and each be that single drop which when brought together can create an ocean and later maybe a ‘tsunami’. For it is when the people demand a change, a change is seen.
Many people decided to go to the jalsa in hopes of seeing Imran khan while the others just went to be a part of such a mass gathering, some went looking for hope. And in the pulsating rhythm of the devoted crowd, I found hope.
note: all pictures in this blog post are taken and edited by the author, copyrights reserved.